What is compound butter?
Compound butter is a fancy name for butter mixed with herbs and other flavorings. It’s used to add extra flavor to dishes like steak, pasta, and vegetables.
Below we have a quick recipe for a lemon dijon chive butter.
½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 Tablespoon minced chives
2 Tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
- Place softened butter in a medium bowl. Mash butter with a fork to flatten it out a bit.
- Add chives, parsley, Dijon, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Stir until well combined.
- Place butter mixture on a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Shape the butter into a log and tightly wrap in parchment or plastic, twisting the ends.
- Refrigerate until solid.
- Serve on grilled meats, steamed veggies, or pasta.
Makes ½ cup butter.
Butter will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.